A friend sent me a link to Accountemps’ recommendations for making every day of the week more productive.
Here is my reply to her, with my own recommendations for starting off right:
Thanks for the unfortunately misguided recommendations for Mondays. Here are mine instead:
1. Since most heart attacks happen on Mondays, you need to ease into the week gradually. Start Monday morning with the door to your office closed and your head on your desk for a 30 minute nap. This is not a “power nap”, but rather a “powerlessness nap”…after all, who really wants to be there anyway?
2. Make the circuit of the office visiting all your friends with a cup of coffee. Shoot the shit and find out if they are actually more depressed than you. Nothing makes you feel better than knowing someone else’s life is actually more abysmal than your own. Avoid anyone who is chipper and smiling (they are actually serial killers in the making).
3. Attend as many meetings as possible where you may practice sleeping with your eyes open, or better still, use your Blackberry to clear off emails that have accumulated.
4. Find any excuse to leave the office early (this is particularly easy for managers who can always make up some story about a client meting off-site).
5. Go home and get to bed early…pretend it is Sunday night and tomorrow is actually Monday, whereby….you’ll just have to repeat today’s routine again tomorrow.
You’ll be amazed how fast the week passes. 🙂